Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 12:14:43 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porters: Please shorten your "one line comments" a little if you can!

I have been using COMMENT as "cat */pkg/COMMENT", that's why I
preferred to have the package name in there, and didn't complain about
lines up to 79 characters.

But since the only "real" utilities (your sysinstall, John's script
for the web site) that read the COMMENT do so via the INDEX file, I am
not against removing the package names.

 * > Is this important for 2.1?  Does Satoshi give us a general permission
 * > to commit to these files right now?  Fixing it would be fairly easy.
 *
 * Important for 2.1?  I guess that's up to Satoshi..  If he wants the
 * packages to look nice in the install menu, then yes.  If not, then no.

Well, when is the release date? :)

Note that if we change the COMMENT file, we need to rebuild the
packages.  I can do that, but it will take some time. :<

I'd rather hand-edit the INDEX file for the release, and leave this as
a "post-2.1" item....

Satoshi

P.S. I'm assuming you're reading the INDEX file, not the +COMMENT file
     in the package itself....