Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:11:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netscape for FreeBSD installing by the book

Many thanks to those whose sage advice helped me get XFree86 up and
running. The remaining bugs seem to be trivial.

I have been trying to install Netscape from the FreeBSD 2.2.5 CD rom.

I have followed the instructions on page 474 of Mr. Lehey's complete
FreeBSD.

My make install process fails to find the file :

communicator-v403b8-export.x86-unknown-freebsd.tar.gz

just like in the book. However the process in the book finally finds and
fetches the file from Netscape.

Mine looks on the CD, looks at ftp.FreeBSD.org, looks at Netscape and
fails to find it and suggests that I reteive it myself.

I could not find it anywhere. Files and directories at ftp.netscape.com
and at ftp.FreeBSD.org have been changed since the publication of the
book. There is 4.01 and 3.04 but no 4.03.

Should I just download a different Netscape port from the ports archive?
Netscape 4.04 US with strong encryption looks nice, but it's a Linux
version, and I'm not ready for Linux emulation.

Does "maintained by ports@FreeBSD.ORG" mean that it is a "native" FreeBSD
version?

If all I need is one little v403b8 file (is it a patch or a binary or a
source file?), it would be nice to be able to find it.

Any ideas?