Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:19:13 -0700
From:      "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>
To:        "Alexander Motin" <mav@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-net" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Point-to-Point interfaces regressions

>=20
> 1) I am going to reuse Ethernet address as local for PtP link:
> %ifconfig ng0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
> %ifconfig ng0
> ng0: flags=3D88d1<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,NOARP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> =
metric
> 0
> mtu 1500
>         inet 10.0.0.1 --> 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xff000000
> So as you can see, address was assigned, but request returned error
> status. Probably it is related to the recent local address route
> changes.
>=20

I have written several times about this particular topic here.

Yes, the behavior changed. Previously if you try to ping 10.0.0.1 the
packets leak onto the wire even though that's a local address. And you
cannot connect to the local end, again, packets go on the wire towards
possibly the default gateway.

> 2) I am going to configure arp-proxy:
> %arp -s 10.0.0.2 00:1b:24:c5:5b:09 pub
> arp: writing to routing socket: Invalid argument
> And again it doesn't work, writing to syslog:
> kernel: lla_rt_output: RTM_ADD publish (proxy only) is invalid

I will take a look and let you know what the issue might be.

-- Qing