Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:38:49 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disklabel 101?

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 09:16:51AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> OK, since folks are comparing unusual disk layouts, here's one I've been
> using on my laptop for the last few weeks (since I got it).  Now, this
> isn't something that you can tell sysinstall to do directly; more about
> that should be at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html.
>
> It should also be understood that I'm tracking both -CURRENT and -STABLE
> on the machine; that I'm working (as time permits) on some code that
> will permit the space pointed to by the 4th MBR "partition table" entry
> to be used as a "suspend to disk partition".  I just finished building
> -CURRENT for today, and did the multi-user boot, so that's what it's
> running at the moment.  (I'll probably switch to today's -STABLE shortly
> after posting this.)
>
> As in Mike's case, I share the swap space among the kernels; I also share
> /var and /common -- basically, everything on what the 3rd "partition tabel"
> entry points to.  /common is where /usr/local points, as well as /home.
> And /usr/obj in each case is a symlink to /common/*/obj (where "*" is one
> of "C", "S1", or "S2").  /common/cvs is where I keep my CVS repository.
>
> It seems to be working OK for me so far.  :-)

Well, I'll throw my config in the ring too. My 20G drive is sliced in
two, with s1 being 7.5G, and s2 being as large as the rest of the drive.

On s2, I have a 250M /, 200M /var, 100M swap, and the remainder (about 10G) as
/usr. s1 contains only one partition, /usr/home on ad0s1a. I never saw
the need for a separate /tmp, especially since every partition has soft
updates enabled.

/usr/home is located elsewhere because I switched to FreeBSD from Linux,
and I wanted to devote my entire disk to FreeBSD. When I had Linux
across the entire drive, I packed it into the first 7.5G, made a BSD
slice in the upper region of the drive, installed it, copied my data
over from Linux, wiped out Linux, turned the free space into s1, and
made that /usr/home. It needs to be 7G for my MP3s. :)

I like this. Since /usr always has about 7-8G free, any time I need a
new operating system, all I need to do is move /usr/home onto /usrž and
I have 7G to play with.
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx