Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:16:29 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd@sysmach.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dialup modem (some off topic stuff)

Two items to start with .... according to the local Nokia
'boy-wonders"
(and confirmed by a Nokia URL) their DataSuite product turns any Nokia
GSM phone into a "proper" modem. It DOESN'T !!!!!. In fact the thing
ONLY sorta works with Win98. I had problems with it months ago and
came to the conclusion that its yet another rendition of the evil
winmodem
species but it took over 4 months for the techno-morons at Nokia
Finland
to confirm that.

The installation was relatively "mission critical" & was only
implememted after
we were assured by local Nokia technical people that there were no
known
issues .... obviously the reason for "no known issues" was that the
Nokia staff
have minimal knowledge of ANYTHING !!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

A second issue was substandard reception on a top end Nokia GSM phone.
The distributor replaced the thing once but said it was Nokia's
responsibility
thereafter. It was a few days out of warranty by the time I got it to
them &
needless to say they refused to help (despite knowing it had been bad
since
new). The abortion died totally at 13 months anyway.  In many of the
countless
areas here where Nokia GSM phones refuse to work there is usually no
trouble
whatever with even 4 year old Ericsson / Mororola / Siemens products.