Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 01:50:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: found dirty cache page 0xf046f1c0

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:

[..]
> Oh, one other thing that occurred to me..  Under 4.0-current, I regularly
> (ie: within 30 seconds of boot) get if_de tranmitter underflows.  My
> console corruption was happening at the instant that de0 was being
> configured with ifconfig.  exmh is running to a remote display over that
> de0 interface.

Here too... pretty quickly after boot on a SMP machine (current as of Jan
12) that pushes quite a bit of traffic, the following messages appear:

de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 96|256)
de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 128|512)
de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 160|1024)

The card is:

de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 0x22 int a irq 16 on pci0.12.0
de0: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de0: address 00:c0:f0:1f:5d:0d
de0: enabling Full Duplex 100baseTX port

Actually a Kingston clone, not a real DEC (so 1/5th of the price - but the
receiver doesn't go audibly *click* when it's autosensing).

So far I've gotten this message once:

de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (switching to store-and-forward mode)

Any harm in them, or can I safely ignore them?  Would it be a good idea to
raise the TX threshold by default, if only to avoid the messages?
It's plugged into a Catalyst switch, if it makes any difference...

	-- Niels.