Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:40:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        blk@skynet.be, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integrating QMAIL in the world

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Joe Greco wrote:

> >         In other words, if we're going to be replacing sendmail with an
> > alternative MTA, I'd prefer postfix over qmail, and I believe I can
> > marshall some pretty strong arguments for that position.
>
> Perhaps it's time to revisit something I proposed several years ago.
>
> Remove Sendmail from the base system - or, at least, make it a "package"
> that is removable with the package management tool.  Then be able to add
> another mailer (or an updated Sendmail) in its place.  Ideally, Sendmail
> would be available as a package for installation as part of the base
> system, just like games or info or proflibs.
>
> I would love to see this happen with other components of the system as
> well, such as BIND.
>
> While it is fantastic that FreeBSD comes out of the box so fully
> functional, it does make it a bit of a pain for those of us who intend
> to build servers - we have to disable the original before installing a
> new package.  :-/

I always keep hearing the same line.  You guys *know* perfectly well how
to do it, and it's not a big thing to you, you even admit it's only "a bit
of a pain".  To most of the rest of the world, it's a huge thing, and they
don't have the least clue how to do it.  If you guys want so desperately
to make things 1% easier, why have I never seen anyone bring out a
parallel "sparse" FreeBSD?  It wouldnt' be a large thing to do, and you
who keep on asking for it, you know that very well.

Just have a reasonable bit of compassion for everyone else.  That's not to
say the huge hurt it would do to FreeBSD to all reviewers and the public
at large, just to save you "a bit of a pain".

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.