Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 01:45:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, freelist@webweaver.net, brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld Electric: Linux Zealots Trashing FreeBSD, Berkeley

On Sun, 3 May 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:

> and enhancement.  The motivation isn't totally altruistic, and

Hehe.  That's what Adam Smith said.  As it turns-out, any
functioning society depends on some amount of altruism. :)

> The beauty of the free software licenses (in the case of products that
> have a network support critical mass)     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's key.

One of the problems arising then is the movement of a large
software project from proprietary -> open.  Netscape, having lost
a monopoly they never quite had, made the move out of
desparation.  What would it take for this move to happen with a
LARGE project that doesn't have any equivalent either free or
proprietary?

The 'net by itself is very poor at begining new large projects.
Consider the lack of a free Office competitor.

The solution to this is to convince competitors of LARGE
proprietary project that the only way they can produce an
equivalent product before the original developer reaches critical
mass and becomes Microsoft II: The Trilogy Completes is to
leverage the 'net.  Hopefully this is something Netscape will
prove.

GPL tries to handle the development of a LARGE proprietary
product with its viral nature.  If Netscape is succesful, then I
would consider it an argument that the viral nature of the GPL is
quite unnecessary (in addition to being damn annoying and even
harmful).

Like I said, time will tell.  Until the software world has
settled into its final form, I reserve all final judgement.  In
the meantime, I am quite content to play the part of a cog. :)

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk