Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:48:45 -0700
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: du which understands ZFS

On Aug 20, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> On 8/20/2013 12:54 PM, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:01:48AM -0400, gtodd@bellanet.org wrote:
>>>=20
ZFS
>>>=20
>>> I think if there were to be a "zfs aware" df it would show =
filesystem
>>> statistics for ufs and other "traditional" filesystems, but if/when =
it
>>> detected zfs it would output something like:
>>>=20
>>> "ZFS - free disk space does not apply" :-)
>>=20
>> Well, except that that isn't really accurate. It looks like a df of
>> zfs shows a size of used+avail. You'll see something similar if you
>> NFS mount an exported filesystem.
>>=20
>>> or maybe some more helpful message about using zpool(1) zfs(1) etc.
>>=20
>> How about a short blurb along the lines of:
>> "The results from df are approximations that do not take into account
>> features supported by some filesystems like compression or =
deduplication.
>> Please refer to your filesystems documentation for =
filesystem-specific
>> details."
>>=20
>> Perhaps throw in something about filesystem-specific metadata also
>> throwing off the numbers. This is true for UFS as well if indirect
>> blocks are needed, correct?
>=20
> UFS with softupdates also has the fun side-effect of it being possible =
to have negative free space. :)
>=20
> df is a nice tool to give rough approximations of usage, but is far =
too high level to provide the kind of reporting OP wants.  ZFS's own =
tools must be used for that.

Agreed.  Still getting used to the toolset involved with managing ZFS.

>  If we made df ZFS aware, we'd open the door to make it SMB, NFS, =
soft-updates, and FUSE aware.  Personally, I'd rather not have the =
lumbering monstrosity that would be such a df.
>=20
> P.S. I'd like to offer this bit of humour:
>=20
> Excerpt from `df -ciH`
> Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused
> tank       807G  38k  807G     0%       7  1.6G    0%
> total      260T 1.1T  259T     0%    1.4M  505G    0%
>=20
> A quarter petabyte and a half a trillion inodes.  Pretty impressive =
for a RAID-Z2 of four 1 TB disks. ;)

Thats not only funny, but awesome that you got that much space from =
4x1TB disks.

What brand are these disks so I can get some before the vendor finds out =
:)

- aurf=