Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 20:58:09 +1000
From:      Paul Koch <paul.koch137@gmail.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elantech touch pad not found on ASUS UX430U laptop

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 12:35:15 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> El d=C3=ADa mi=C3=A9rcoles, agosto 30, 2017 a las 04:46:49p. m. +1000, Pa=
ul Koch
> escribi=C3=B3:
>=20
> > > Your Elantech touchpad is probably connected over I2C, and FreeBSD
> > > doesn't support I2C touchpads.=C2=A0 Support could probably be ported=
 from
> > > Linux, I just don't have the time, hardware or desire to do it.=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0 I
> > > think the hard part would be probing I2C controllers in the system and
> > > then probing each one for your touchpad.
> > >=20
> > > If you'd like to take a stab at adding support, I might be able to ho=
ld
> > > your hand a little.=C2=A0 Having access to Linux kernel logs would at=
 least
> > > make it easier to add support for your particular system.
> > >=20
> > > Anthony Jenkins =20
> >=20
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I booted Linux and it is a I2C touchpad.  But I suppose the first probl=
em
> > is the I2C controller doesn't seem to be supported by as no driver gets
> > attached.=20
>=20
> Paul,
>=20
> Is your FreeBSD recent enough to have /boot/kernel/chromebook_platform.ko?
> If so, try to load this. It seems that there is no man page
> chromebook_platform(4) at least not in my CURRENT r314251. Some details a=
re
> here: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D308104
>=20
> Does chromebook_platform say something in messages on kldload?

Hi Mathias,

It is currently running=20

FreeBSD newsplash.akips.com 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #5 86963c42c2=
d(drm-next): Mon Aug 14 04:26:19 AEST 2017     root@newsplash.akips.com:/us=
r/obj/home/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I tried loading the chromebook_platform.ko.  It loaded ok, but no messages.

	Paul.