Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 13:23:04 +0800
From:      Peihan Wang <peihanw@mx.cei.gov.cn>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   find/search a string in Netscape

my PC config:
Cyrix120+ / 32M EDO / 4.3G IDE / S3 Trio64V+ with 2MB VRAM
FreeBSD CTMed 2.2.8 stable / 128MB swap
XFree86-3.3.2 / lesstif-0.84
Netscape Communicator 4.07

I always use Netscape to browse HTML files. When browsing
a large file such as an index file, if I do a string
search and the string resides at the end part, Netscape
will not respond for a while. Just like a system thrash.

This also occurs under Linux-2.0.30.

I do know that Netscape is a memory hog and I think
If I upgrade my PC's memory to 128MB, the performance
of string search under Netscape will improve.

Am I right?
Or is there another way such as tune kernel or some
config files?

Please do not advise me to buy a SCSI controller and
disk. I do not have such a budget.  :-(

Thanx.