Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:17:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A really hoopy idea for variant symlinks.

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Peter da Silva wrote:
> Stop me if you've heard this one.

Heard it. Did something mostly like it.

> OK, the thing you need for variant symlinks is a per-process inherited
> namespace, like the environment, but one that's in the kernel so symlinks
> can get to it, unlike the environment.

Done that on Linux. Hoping to finish it up on freebsd this summer.

Could use help.

> IK, let's say you built one and hung it off the process structure. How
> are you going to access it? Well, you could create a couple new system
> calls to browse the namespace, or... and here's the hoopy idea... you
> hang it off /proc/*/syms. As symlinks.

Mine did not need to hang off the process structure. In fact it works as
an LKM on linux. No hacking of any kernel structs. But it's still a
private name space ...

> So yours would be under /proc/curproc/syms. and if you had permission you
> could browse other processes you own and examine them under /proc/pid/syms.

Yep, I support that too.

> AND, because you're exposing them as symlinks, you don't have to change
> how symlinks work.
Yep.

> Instead of going through .../${USER}/... you'd just set up a symlink in
> the proper place to /proc/curproc/syms/user.

Yep. As I said, private name spaces are what you want. I agree with you!

So, if anyone wants to help ...

ron