Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:47:27 +0100
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@lansing.dk>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bento Reporting Enhancements

--dkEUBIird37B8yKS

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:27:15AM +1100, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> Hi,

Hej,=20
>=20
> I was wondering if Port Building Reporting could be done better.
> Right now, the building of ports is done on several different
> host-systems, different OSses and at the end you have a log-file
> which gets batch-processed into a couple of HTML files. There is
> no way to quickly check the history of the build of a port (when
> did it start to stop building correctly, different per platform and
> OS version of course (what did you expect :-), you can't quickly
> see if the port builds, or doesn't, on a different platform and
> there is no way to get a small overview of all ports failing with
> a perl-error, you get the information of all ports. Etc etc etc.
>=20
> Yes, to do these things you need a database. Well, let us get a
> database then. If after each build (or attemtp to build :-) the
> logfile and some meta-information (which processor, which OS version)
> is send to an account@machine which processes it and stores it in
> the database. Then with a webbrowser, webserver and a couple of PHP
> scripts you can access the data there. Rocket-science, isn't it?
>=20
[snip pros-cons]

I think this would be an excelent idea. I've actually wondered about
these missing "features" a couple of times. If we can make this an
official FreeBSD service, I'll be happy to lend a hand. I've always wanted
to be a rocket scientist :o)

-erwin

--=20
Erwin Lansing      (,-.`._,'(       |\`-/|    http://droso.org/