Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:01:10 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Package Management Tools - a collection of descriptions

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 06:52:43 -0500 (EST)
Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

Hi,

A quick look at this part:

 It appears that some sort of database is maintained containing
information on:

    * Port ``packages'' that have been installed, with names and version
numbers, and
    * Possibly (not entirely clear to me) information on what specific
files were installed.

Of course, every file installed is recorded, along with its md5 sum.
Also, information on what packages a given package depends on is
recorded as well.

The rest of the info seems to be okay, except someone could take
comparing the ports system with rpm a bit offensive ;-P I'd say the
closest Linux distro to the *BSDs when it comes to package management
would be Gentoo Linux. Most debian users hardly ever use source builds,
they just apt-get install foo, where foo is at least 3-4 major revisions
behind if you're running debian-stable :-P

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt