Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:03:09 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Aur=E9lien?= Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root (/) not soft-updates by default ?

At 10:54 AM -0400 2002/08/19, Michael Lucas wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Soft updates does not work well with IDE controllers with write
>caching enabled; you can cause data loss.
>
>Most IDE controllers ship with write caching enabled.
>
>We won't, by default, ship systems which have an unacceptable risk of
>data loss.  :-)

	Okay, then I'll ask the next question. Why is this acceptable
on /usr, /var, or other mount points? My 'data' is likely to be
everywhere *but* /.

	If we should be disabling write caching on IDE installations,
can you point me to instructions for the procedure? I'd like to call
it out more in the docs.

						Thanks,

						Chris Pepper

--