Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2016 07:41:39 +0200
From:      "Bradley T. Hughes" <bradleythughes@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        rs+freebsd-ports@trust64.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zimbra Port

<mailinglists@toco-domains.de> wrote:
>=20
>> * The Zimbra source is huge, a git clone is about 13 GigaBytes. I am =
not
>> sure on how source that big is handled correctly in ports. (e.g. is =
it
>> OK that every make does a git clone and you have to wait until you =
get
>> the 13 GB of data? Would this be a problem for the FreeBSD build =
cluster
>> infrastructure to create the packages?, ...)
>=20
> A git clone contains the complete development *history*. If a try to =
fetch a packet from their homepage it is "just" around 850 MB which =
should not be a problem.
>=20
>> * On the porters handbook it says to fetch a tarball from http/ftp, =
is
>> it also possible to directly work with git and clone a repository?
>=20
> I'm not aware of such a way. But since there is a Git-Repo: isn't =
there a management tool like GitLab, which could provides tarballs? At =
least it is possible to set one up, clone the repo and provide it this =
way.

There's also the --depth option to git clone that can help limit the =
size of the resulting checkout.

       --depth <depth>
           Create a shallow clone with a history truncated to the =
specified
           number of commits. Implies --single-branch unless
           --no-single-branch is given to fetch the histories near the =
tips of
           all branches.

--
Bradley T. Hughes