Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 09:16:09 +0100
From:      Gary Hall <gary.hall@mcg-graphics.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Internal Modem Setup - beginners question

I am trying to set up my modem to get internet access in FreeBSD 2.2.6.
I have scoured the newsgroups and mailing list archives and a number of
people have asked how to set the modem up and been directed to the
complete FreeBSD book.

I am relatively new to Unix and am trying to come to terms with a lot of
the concepts in it. I have read the FreeBSD book and can not remember
seeing a step by step guide to setting up your modem to work. My modem
is an internal modem but it I don't have a manual for it and therefore
don't know if it's plug and play or not. I am not connected to a
network.

However, I have done the following:

altered the ppp.conf file to contain the details of my ISP.
typed in ppp
typed in dial ISP

I get the following message:

Dial attempt 1 of 1
Phone:
Warning: Dial Modem: dial failed

My questions are:

How do I find out if the kernel has detected my modem ?
If it hasn't what do I need to alter in order to get it to detect my
modem ?

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Gary Hall

(Please reply to email address as I don't subscribe to the list, due to
a problem with our company mailserver.)