Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:46:03 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

In message <20010117105226.V7240@fw.wintelcom.net>, Alfred Perlstein writes:

>> > There has to be a way for you guys to get us some reasonable
>> > tracebacks or diagnostics instead of just saying "it's broke".
>>
>> Its close to impossible, the two symptoms I see here are either
>> spontanous reboots, or solid hangs where only a reset can get
>> you out, so I cant say much other than "it's broke".
>
>You probably have a much better understanding of low level programming
>than I do, you _should_ be able to figure out what's going on.

Excuse me!  There is no fucking way you guys can expect anybody else
to be able to debug at the rate things are being changed right now.

>> Hmm, with a -current kernel from today 1200 CET i just need to
>> do a make depend on a GENERIC kernel, and wham it locks up.
>
>Odd, doesn't hang for me.

"Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense".  Remember that.

>I think phk just told me that you need a UP kernel to find this,
>but he's being pretty vague about it so I don't know.

No I told you that I have not been able to reproduce this because
my SMP boxes are too slow to matter.  Or maybe because they have
to few and too ancient disks.  Or maybe because I don't have
time to really give them a beating these days. I don't know.