Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:11:50 +0200
From:      nocturnal <nocturnal@swehack.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alt Gr key troubles in FreeBSD

Hi

These problems have been going on ever since i first started using
FreeBSD frequently with 4.10-RELEASE. Before that i used Windows to
write software and would usually upload it onto a FreeBSD ftp server.
This was no problem for me in Windows but as soon as i made the switch
to FreeBSD at work and started actually writing code in FreeBSD 8 hours
a day, 5 days a week, i noticed major issues with Alt Gr keys. I think
they're called deadkeys in the X.org configuration. It's mainly because
i'm from sweden and have all the important characters like {, [, ], },
among others, on keys that require the Alt Gr key to be pressed for me
to use them. It's hard to reproduce the problem as sometimes i can type
at very high speed and still not have a problem when i hit an alt gr
character and other times i type really slow but get stuck on the alt gr
characters.

What happens is that the character just doesn't work, once the problem
happens i can very often just hold the alt gr key and keep hitting the
other key multiple times without anything at all happening, at those
times i actually must let go of the alt gr key in order to continue
typing. Even if the problem is very hard for me to reproduce i am 100%
sure it is a problem because like i said, i do this every day of my life
and i know this happens. My boss has discovered it to, he does not write
as much code as i do but sometimes he writes a perl program or two and
he has the same problems. I think maybe one of the reasons i haven't
heard much about this problem could be that i use a Swedish keyboard
layout and require the deadkeys, this combination along with someone who
writes as much code as i do and cares enough about the problen to solve
it might be rare so i haven't been able to find anything at all about
this problem on search engines like Google.

I would love to solve the problem though, even if i've learned to live
with it, it's the most annoying thing ever when you get a good flow
going in your code writing and suddenly it all gets stuck on some damn
alt gr key.

I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction because i
suspect this could be something i need to take up with the x.org people.
--

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal
[Swehack] http://swehack.se