Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:50:18 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Ian J Greely <Ian@tirnanog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA Device Flags...

Ian J Greely wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:53:05 -0700, you wrote:
>

> >Ian J Greely wrote:
> >>
> >> Is anyone conversant with the flags necessary to force the ata device
> >> in
> >> version 4 to use a disk in PIO mode 4 rather than attempting to run as
> >> UDMA33?
> >>
> >> The problem is that the device times out writing to the disk using the
> >> UDMA
> >> mode.
>
> >There are two problems that I have followed. One bad and the other is
> >much worse. The bad one you can deal with by using the examples from
> >sysctl and ata. Look at the format in the man page for the text you
> >add to /etc/sysctl.conf. This morning I had a power outage and on one
> >of the systems, I started getting the ICRC UDMA warning message. That
> >system was also seeing
> ><
> I believe that I can do this once I have a system loaded.
> Unfortunately I *can't* load a system because the CD is unable to
> write the filesystem to the disk!
>
> Catch 22.
>
> I don't have access to a *working* version 4.0 machine on which to
> look up the manual pages for this device. I have access to the uk.org
> freebsd server but that is a 3.4 system which does not have the
> necessary manual pages.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to force the device into PIO mode before
> the install is attempted...
>
> As I understand it I should be able to get the device working if I can
> get a consol with the sysctl command available.
>
> sysctl -w hw.atamodes=dma,pio,pio,---
>
> I have no idea how to do this from an install CD! *doh!*

Dam^Hrn! You can add another *doh!* there because I don't know how
either. I haven't tried configing the storage device mode at the
initial boot time when you are presented with all of the devices. Your
sysctl is right except you want the main device to be pio instead of
dma.

I'm really a believer in installing from the floppies and I think you
stand a chance there. If you are having trouble at this point, you
could have a machine that falls into the "or worse" category. You can
follow what happened there by searching on "ad0 drivers revisited".
There was a comment that one of the disk manufacturer's had a way to
force a ATA drive into PIO4 mode. The "at0" search should also find
that message.

I would also consider using a older hard drive for the boot. The PIO 4
drives work just fine as primary master and you don't need more than
16MB/s.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html