Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:53:32 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Doug Rabson <dfr@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pci.c pcisupport.c pcivar.h

On Tue 2000-06-13 (10:47), Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >As I said on in a reply to committers, this is probably best handled by
> >the nomatch method of the pci driver.
>
> Completely unrelated to where we do this, I have had a fair number of
> people ask me why we don't say stuff like:
>
> "Found <FOOcorp magicchip 1242> Configure \"blaha\" driver in your kernel"
>
> I can see all the bloat arguments, but I have to say that the idea
> has some merit...

It would be nice (as well as in the kernel boot, or as an alternative)
if we could do this from userland.  Basically just all those PNP and PCI
ids cross referenced with the module name, and then we can just click
and drool to load the module.

As we become more able to use libh, this will become a very useful
feature.

(which reminds me that I should get back to the sysctl enumeration of
newbus devices, which may help in this)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner