Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:01:40 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
Cc:        Liquid <liquid@liquidonline.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Find abandoned packages

In the last episode (Nov 21), Pascal Giannakakis said:
> > If you check out /var/db/pkg it lists what ports are installed
> > essentially.  I don't know how to tell whether or not it?s a
> > dependency
> > though, so maybe someone else can answer that.  I'd like to know that
> > too come to think of it.
>
> pkg_info or pkg_version - would be quite the same in this situation.
> What i need is an intelligent programm that finds old stuff, and best
> even offers a yes / no dialog to uninstall it.

Lots of packages don't have dependencies because they are standalone
programs, like "netcat".  You probably don't want to prompt to
deinstall those.  What you really need is a flag somewhere in the
package list saying "I was force-installed because of a dependency", so
you can look for packages with this flag but no dependant packages.
Unfortunately, this flag doesn't exist :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com