Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:08:54 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, yokota@freebsd.org
Subject:   vidcontrol causing panics with serial console?

It seems that with 4.0 and a serial console enabled vidcontrol
panics the kernel with a pagefault.

I was unable to get a crashdump because of some other breakage and
I can't investigate this too heavily because this is a production
box. (grr)

I do however have a lot of config information to hopefully reproduce
this problem.

with these lines in /etc/rc.conf I get a panic with vidcontrol as
the active process in a 4.0 from early morning:

font8x8="cp437-8x8"
font8x14="cp437-8x14"
font8x16="cp437-8x16"
keyrate="fast"

This is how I have my serial console setup:

options         DDB
options         DDB_UNATTENDED
options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

I also don't have a keyboard plugged in, just a serial console
so that the loader picks it as the system console.

Is anyone else getting hit by panics by vidcontrol with serial
console enabled?

thanks,