Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:25:43 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Dwayne MacKinnon <dmk@ncf.ca>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ut2004 and linux x11 libs

On 08/16/06 10:44, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
>> Quoting Dwayne MacKinnon <dmk@ncf.ca> (from Tue, 15 Aug 2006
>> 22:51:18 -0400):
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I regularly play ut2004 on my FreeBSD box. Lately I've run into a
>> problem:> After upgrading from x11/linux-XFree86-libs to x11/linux-
>> xorg-libs (at the
>>> same time that I up'ed to the fc4 linux base). After doing that,
>>> ut2004 became
>>> pretty much unplayable. Maps wouldn't render properly, movement
>> was choppy,
>>> the works.
>>>
>>> Downgrading from x11/linux-xorg-libs to x11/linux-XFree86-libs
>> solves the
>>> problem.
>> Did you updated the native dri port as well? Do you use an NVidia
>> card
>> and reinstalled it after switching to the linux-xorg libs (it
>> installs
>> a modified OpenGL lib if the linux support is enabled there)? Do
>> other
>> 3D apps exhibit a similar behavior?
>
> Alexander,
>
> I've kept both the native and linux dri ports up to date. (I even tried
> linux_dri-devel). No difference. I'm also 99% sure that I reinstalled
> the nvidia driver after the upgrade. (I use a GeForce 6600GT card.) I'll
> double-check on the driver issue after I get off work tonight.

FYI - after seeing this thread, I installed the ut2004-demo, and it too
ran slowly.  Then I saw Alexander's comments, so I reinstalled dri,
nvidia driver, and restarted xorg.  Now, it's snappy fast (at 1920x1200!).

Now if I can only figure out how to get my purchased copy running, so
I'm not in demo mode...

Eric