Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Georgiana S. Trigg" <gtrigg@rocketmail.com>
To:        Dan Mahoney <dan@ns1.wolf.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD/COMPAQ COMPATIBILITY

Hello,

You know, I think that's one of the best pieces
of advice I've gotten yet.  No matter what O/S
format I go with, I shall definitely get myself
a nice little sound card with a separate modem
(a Xoom or  a U.S. Robotics, maybe?)

Much thanks,

Georgiana

===

There is no evil except that which exists in our
own minds.

---Dan Mahoney <dan@ns1.wolf.com> wrote:

> Georgiana,
>
> I'm sure Greg will have more to say about
this, but the
> modem-sound card will probably be a problem
under just
> about any OS you load.  Manufacturers of these
cards usually
> take some rather drastic design shortcuts and
write hefty
> device drivers to work around the hardware
shortcuts they
> took.  This leaves the cards unuseable without
the mfg's
> driver, which of course doesn't help under
non-WinBloze
> systems.  I think you'd save yourself a lot of
frustration
> if you just bought an internal modem and a
cheap sound card.

> Dan Mahoney
> dan@wolf.com
>
> > Hello Greg,
> >
> > I was hoping actually that someone out there
> > could say "Oh, yeah.  I installed it to my
> > Compaq and had this problem or that problem."
> > Or "I installed it...  It works fine."
> >
> > > Well, Windows products don't work well,
> > period.
> >
> > Yeesh!  Tell me about it!  I want a UNIX
box!  :-(

> > If they're doing
> > > particularly badly on your machine, you
might
> > have problems which
> > > affect operating systems, such as FreeBSD,
as
> > well.  It's probably
> > > worth your while to mention what machine you
> > have, and what the
> > > problems with Microsoft are.
> >
> > If you instist... :-)  I have a 4764 model.
> > I've had it for 18 mo.s or so.  It has 166 MHz
> > processor, 32 MB RAM, and a 2.5GB HD, just to
> > name a few things.  I'm going to have to yank
> > off the case cover and probe and dig to get
more
> > specific.  Compaq's documentation leaves
> > something to be desired.
> >
> > I believe the machine must have come with
Ver. A
> > of '95.  I've seen more freezes, blue screens,
> > and illegal operations than any one human
being
> > should.  I completely reformatted my hard
drive
> > before I did a full install of '98.  The major
> > problem with that was it wouldn't pick up my
> > internal modem on COM2.  There were no jumpers
> > to reset on the modem/sound card, and even
after
> > applying a patch from the Compaq site, I STILL
> > can't get into the set-up.  I considered
> > detaching the HD to boot directly into BIOS,
but
> > totally detaching your HD is just BEGGING for
> > misery sometimes...  I'm running an external
> > modem I borrowed from work on COM1, and I
REALLY
> > don't want to go out and buy an external to
try
> > to patch up that problem.
> >
> > Now it works okay, but it will do weird
> > things...  My icons on my bar at the bottom
> > right of the screen will all disappear except
> > the volume icon and I have to reboot.  After I
> > tell it to reboot (yes, I hit Start, Shut
Down,
> > Reboot), I still have to do 2 Ctrl-Alt-Dels to
> > get it to finish.  Everything disappears but
the
> > wallpaper and it hangs.
> >
> > My warranty is up, and even before it ran out,
> > Compaq tech support was USELESS.  Any time I
had
> > a problem, their solution was simply to
blame it
> > on the last piece of software I had installed.
> > *sigh*
> >
> > My last-ditch effort will be quick-restoring
my
> > hard drive and upgrading the Win '95.  It's
very
> > possible that Win '98 just DOES NOT like my
> > hardware.  It's probably pretty cheap stuff,
> > anyways.  I'm sure my internal modem isn't the
> > best on the market, especially since it's
one of
> > those modem+soundcard in one wonders...
> >
> > Needless to say, I am going to BUILD my next
box
> > and make it generic as possible!
> >
> > Regards and thanks,
> >
> > Georgiana