Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:32:15 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, justin@apple.com, Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: arp errors on machines with two interfaces

Mohit Aron wrote:

> > Garrett is correct, and sarcasm doesn't help.  You can't have more
> > than one interface on a given wire, with the same subnet address,
> > using IP.  Them's the protocol rules.
> >

> Actually I am using different subnet addresses on the two interfaces. One is
> 128.42.3.77 and the other is 192.168.3.77. There are other machines in the dept
> running Solaris and other OS's that are connected in similar fashions.
> However, the Ethernet is switched and any broadcast by anyone is going to be
> seen by all interfaces connected to it.

Get a switch that supports Layer 3 VLANs, then the broadcasts from the 192.168
network will not show up on the 128.42 network and vice versa.

> I don't have control over the hardware. But here's a possibility - wouldn't
> it be better if this error message generation in FreeBSD is turned off if
> the packet is an arp broadcast ? Like I showed in my earlier mail, the problem
> only happens due to arp broadcasts.

Normally you would want to be warned about such things, they are usually a
sign of a network misconfiguration.  Perhaps a sysctl to turn off these arp
warnings would meet your needs?