Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 05:22:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Denis Fortin <fortin@zap.zap.qc.ca>
To:        wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd failure on Freebsd 2.0 (cdrom)

> I've been running [...] the 2.0 cdrom version.
> The connection [...] have been very reliable.
> However, have a few minutes of using pppd for connection to a cisco router,
> the system panics... at the pppd process.

2.0 PPP had a major problem that can be fixed with a one-line fix in
the kernel.

Here's the patch (apply in /sys/net):

---------------------------------snip------------------------------
*** if_ppp.c.orig	Tue Nov 22 07:38:43 1994
--- if_ppp.c	Tue Nov 22 07:39:17 1994
***************
*** 432,437 ****
--- 432,438 ----
  	    m_freem(m0);
  	    return (ENOBUFS);
  	}
+ 	m->m_len = 0;
  	if (uio->uio_resid >= MCLBYTES / 2)
  	    MCLGET(m, M_DONTWAIT);
  	len = M_TRAILINGSPACE(m);

Back when we ran 2.0 on a very busy PPP server, we had a few other, more
intricate, problems with it that would make me recommend 2.0.5 instead of
2.0, but if you've been running 2.0 happily with SLIP, then this little
fix will let you get back the stability you used to have!
--
Denis Fortin                                                    fortin@acm.org
DMR Group Inc, (514) 877-3301                        These opinions are my own