Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 11:17:21 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel 5 (2432 Mhz, flags 0x3e0 hal flags 0x140)

On Saturday 29 April 2006 20:00, Sam Leffler wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:

> > the 5,3 and 5.8Ghz range is gone
> >

> > this card should show the 2.4b/g range as usual, the 4.9, the 5.3 and t=
he
> > 5.8 range
>
> regdomain 18 gives you b/g channels 1-11 and public safety channels in
> the range 4942-4985.  What you are seeing is that ifconfig does not know
> how to handle mapping the public safety channels to ieee channel numbers.

very strange indeed, look what DLink say about this card supposed to have:

ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DWL-AG530/DWL-AG530_ds.pdf

http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=3D306&rid=3D1027&sec=3D0

I believe this regarding redomain codes is also correct

0x10 FCC
0x20 DOC
0x30 ETSI
0x31 Spain
0x32 France
0x40 Japan
0xff debug

I believe the 4.9Ghz range is a US only limited range at this time and if=20
regdomain 18 defines this I do not know how I get this cards configured wit=
h=20
it, but that certainly is another question

if I am not so wrong Dlink pretends with 0x12 to say that the 11a range is=
=20
only 5.25Ghz up but NOT any lower as 5.25Ghz 11a range

so this is certainly exactly the contrary to what you say regdomain 18 *is*=
=20
4.9

but of course I may be wrong and I did not found at this moment the table w=
ith=20
regdomain codes and channels in my hurry

> It turns out that handling this correctly is more involved than I
> remembered.  Not only are the public safety channels special in their
> freq<->ieee# mapping but they also require 1/4- and 1/2-speed tx rates.
>   The linux code handles this but it's done with some awkward code that
> I'd prefer to cleanup before integrating into freebsd.  Regardless I
> suspect most people aren't going to use these channels since they
> require a special license (search for "public safety channels" and

ok but this may apply to any other channel/frequency as well, what may be f=
ree=20
of license in one country does not mean it is or not in another

> you'll find the relevant documentation).  To be honest I have no idea
> why vendors are shipping cards with these channels enabled.

to sell them I guess ;)

> I can hack the ath driver to just ignore the public safety channels and
> may do that.  Otherwise it seems like the best thing is to change the
> regdomain in the eeprom (those who don't know how can find it with a
> search engine).

probably both are the best choice I guess

Jo=E3o