Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2000 08:59:11 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Networking <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Syncro. PPP and Serial Line Load Balancing

> I would like to establish a ppp link between 2 boxes using both serial
> ports ( com1 and com2 ) synchronously.
>
> Does the kernel automatically do the Serial Line Load Balancing to achieve
> this ???
>
> Can I just start 2 pppd's ( both using the same IP addresses but different
> com ports ) ??? If not, how do I achieve Syncho. ppp ???

It's called Multi-link Protocol (MP) and pppd doesn't support it.
ppp(8) does however.

The idea is to clone your link, point the second link at the second
device (or point both links at both devices), set up gettys that'll
pick up and exec ppp(8) on the other end, and ensure that you've got
``set mrru ....'' in all configurations.

Check the man page for details.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>