Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:39:55 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with sym on 10.2

On 01/19/16 15:19, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 01/19/16 13:13, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> Two days ago I upgraded a (perfectly working) 9.3/i386 box to 10.2p10
>> Since then I've had two panics with the following message:
>>
>> panic: assertion "lp->busy_itl==0&&lp->busy_itlq==0" failed: file
>> /usr/src/sys/dev/sym/sym_hipd.c
>>
>> Since the disk controller is involved, I do not get any core and I have
>> to press the reset button.
>>
>> Google showed up no results (I'm not using ZFS, btw) and Bugzilla didn't
>> help either.
>>
>> Any hint on where to go from here?
>
> I recommend asking about this on freebsd-stable@...

I'm cc:ing and reply-to:ing :) it now.

> and/or raising a PR in bugzilla.

I'd gladly do this, but I though I'd ask for some direction before,
since, right now, I have very few details.

> If there's any more information you can pull out of your
> system, that would probably be helpful

Something in particular?
The only thing that comes to my mind is the following:

> # pciconf -lv
> sym0@pci0:3:5:0: class=0x010000 card=0x39071de1 chip=0x000c1000 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> vendor = 'LSI Logic / Symbios Logic'
> device = '53c895'
> class = mass storage
> subclass = SCSI

The card really is a Tekram DC-390U2W.

Oh, and I'm using gmirror with a couple of disks.
There's also a zip drive attached (which has always worked), but I've
not been using it in the last three days, so it was not "active" when
the system paniced.

>-- even if it's a case of taking
> a photo of your screen and sticking it on a pasteboard site somewhere.

Not much to see, really: the above message (which should be *almost*
exact, since I copied it by hand) and a backtrace which doesn't mean
much. Nothing else.

> Hmmm... sym(4) looks like it's fairly elderly, implying the same is
> probably true of your hardware.

Sure.

> Is it possible your disk controller is succumbing to the vagaries of age?

I have never seen any little trouble with such a card (I've had more
than one here and at customers'); thought it might actually be dying, I
really find it strange that it started as soon as I upgraded from 9.3 to
10.2...

  bye & Thanks a lot
	av.