Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:22:29 -0500
From:      pippo@bellnet.ca
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrading problems

At 07:48 AM 2/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 04 February 2003 07:00 am, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
> > Some time ago I chose FreeBSD over all other *nix systems because I
> > found the system better managed, easier to administrate, better
> > supported and simpler to update and upgrade both the OS and the
> > programs - especially through portupgrade.
> > Several times I have encountered glitches in the update process; some
> > I managed to figure out what the problem was, some other I just had
> > to wait until the port was corrected then re-cvsup and portupgrade.
> > This, on 2 similar FBSD v.4.7 installations.
> >
> > Currently I have encountered problems with updating KDE3 (because
> > kdegames3 had some sort of problem - I don't have time for the games
> > anyway, but this messes up the update - and the audio/arts program
> > also had problems) and Openoffice 1.02.
>
>I think you have something else that is wrong. For example, if you check
>the cvs-repository, nothing has been modified on kdegames since it was
>updated to version 3.1 6 days ago. About 18 hours ago, I cvsuped
>ports-all, rebuilt INDEX like you are supposed to do after cvsuping,
>and then ran
>
>portupgrade -pufr qt
>
>This rebuilt all of the ports that depend on qt-3.1.1_2 and pretty much
>includes all of kde and arts.
>
>What version are you trying to upgrade kde from? The older versions
>basically require a package delete and fresh install. They also don't
>work with XFree86-3.3.6. You have to use version 4.x.
>
>If a port requires to much space, then you need to use the prebuilt
>packages.
>
>Kent

On further checking on the /audio/arts port, I found the following: When I
try to update the port, a wrong version is indicated - the installed
version is  arts-1.0.4,1 and the portupgrade program is trying to updat to
3.1,1 (which doesn't exist).
On the ports site, there is no link to the sources - What is going on here?

BTW, I am using the latest version of XFree86 (4.2 or whatever, not the
3.6.6) and I regularly update - usually on Weekends. Usually, the problems
I encounter are just the kind of thing I am experiencing now, there is no
source listed for the arts program and the rest of the KDE3 port seems to
be unaware of this .... :((

Now, what do I do? :((
PJ