Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 18:16:30 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Deepak Jain <deepak@ai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OC48 interface

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 05:36:14PM -0400, Deepak Jain thus sprach:

> SONET is a physical layer protocol that (when implemented) can
> provide switching around cut fiber in sub milliseconds.

Nice when it works.  We lost our DS3 for about 18 hours 2 weeks
ago.  Seventeen OC-48 links were cut.  When we asked the about the
self-healing, they said, normally it would, but not with the many
gone.

They couldn't get permission to dig up the road so that had to
patch around, that made the repair take twice as long.  And two
days later, before they could the patched section buried, a truck
took the same 17 out one more time.  They were running overhead.

Local politics I assume kept them from doing it the right way the
first time.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com