Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:53:39 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Michael Vince" <mv@roq.com>, "Monah Baki" <mbaki@whywire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Freebsd 5.4+samba

I do not think polling will help him.

I've dealt with those Dells before, if I am not mistaken that
model uses a gigabit ethernet chipset.  There are problems
with some switches (I am assuming he is using a switch)
autonegotiating with the ethernet chip on that Dell.  While
I've only seen these systems as Windows servers so far, the
fix should be the same for FreeBSD, and that is to hard-code the
port to 100BaseT half duplex.

If that does not help, try substituting a more modern switch.

Ted