Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:52:03 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback

 |> 2) Where's the tcpdump port/package -- missing?
 |
 |	Hmmm.. you want to use a tcpdump other than the one that comes with the
 |system in /usr/sbin/tcpdump? I don't remember ever seeing a tcpdump port,
 |but that's not really my area of expertise, so I might have missed it.

My bad.  Don't know how I missed seeing that.

I was looking for a port to incorporate a switch I patch into tcpdump
whenever I upgrade.  In the past, I've patched it directly into the source
and forgotten there wasn't a port (and I didn't realize it was in bindist).

 |> 3) If I switch the console to 43 or 60 line mode with vidcontrol, "man" and
 |>    other full-screen progs don't automatically pick up the correct number
 |>    of lines like they did in 3.0-RELEASE.  They assume 25-line mode.
 |>
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv0 -f 8x8 cp866-8x8
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv0 132x43
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv1 132x43
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv2 132x43
 |>
 |>    I have to fiddle with "stty rows" and hand the console the right number.
 |
 |	This is usually a function of your pager, and/or your shell. If you use
 |bash, try setting 'shopt -s checkwinsize' and see if that helps. If you are
 |still using 'more' as the default pager, try installing less from the ports
 |and then do, 'export PAGER=/usr/local/bin/less' (or the appropriate *csh
 |setenv command) and see if that helps. If neither do,  you should send in a
 |PR for this since (TMK) you shouldn't have to jump through those hoops. Do
 |'man send-pr' for more details if needed.

less is actually what I'm using.  I'll back out and try both pagers, and
file a PR if I don't have any luck.

 |>    Also, the kernel config and build doesn't fail with the wcd0 device in
 |>    it; but the CDROM doesn't work after booting on that kernel.
 |
 |	Hmmm.. are you sure that you have included the controller that the CD is
 |on in your kernel config? These are the wdc[01] devices. Also, do you have
 |the ATAPI options in there properly?

I believe I have it right:

  controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
  disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
  disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

  controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
  disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
  disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

  # Can't get FreeBSD folks to commit IO_WD3 to isa.h, so we hard-code the addr
  #controller     wdc2    at isa? port "IO_WD3" bio irq 11 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
  controller      wdc2    at isa? port "0x1e8" bio irq 11 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
  disk            wd4     at wdc2 drive 0

  options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
  options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
  device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM

This is my current config.  The same lines with acd0 replaced with wcd0 is
when I had the trouble I described (kernel builds, but IDE CD-ROM doesn't
work).

This is the same text I had for 3.0-RELEASE, except that I removed the
"vector wdintr".  Seems that's not needed anymore

 |> 8) (Nit) Boot-up probes spelling error:
 |>    "bt_isa_probe: Probe failled for card at 0x330"
 |
 |	This is something you should definitely send a PR for. It will get fixed
 |10 times faster than just pointing it out here. Also, if you supply a patch
 |(thereby indicating that you have found the exact location and have saved
 |people looking at the PR that much more work) it will almost certainly be
 |committed. If you need a hint on how to find it, grep is your friend.

Ok, ...done.

 |> 14) I repartitioned and labeled a slice on wd4, and each time Fdisk
 |>     succeeded and Label failed the first time ("Invalid Argument").  Then,
 |>     after I exited sysinstall and restarted it, Label and Newfs worked --
 |>     strange.  I repeated this procedure twice -- same results.
 |
 |	The sysinstall interface to those programs is notoriously tempermental.

Right.  That's why I was using sysinstall. :-)

 |The command line versions are rather difficult to learn, but more
 |consistent in their behavior.

 |	Once again, thank you for your detailed feedback. I hope the above is
 |helpful.

And thanks for the reply.  I'll follow-up on those few you suggested
separate handling for.

Randall