Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 02:27:31 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: boot manager other than booteasy

Zhihui Zhang wrote:
> =

> I have installed Linux on my laptop and am using LILO as the boot manag=
er.
> Compared to booteasy, LILO can not remember the last OS I booted from a=
nd
> boot from that OS automatically next time powerup.  But booteasy can no=
> recognize Linux in a DOS extended partition.  Is there any FREE boot
> manager that can boot Linux in a DOS extended partition and yet can
> remember the last OS it booted from?

www.xosl.org

Will need lilo also somewhere to boot linux (and the BeOS bootman for
BeOS). If for example you have your Linux root in /dev/hda5 then tweak
your lilo.conf to point to /dev/hda5 instead of the default /dev/hda. Of
course you don=B4t have to configure lilo for all your other OSs then, bu=
only for Linux. xosl will do the others (including FreeBSD).

xosl does also work around the 1024 cylinder boundary FreeBSD had before
4.1

xosl is really fine, but either needs a small partition of its own (like
the OS/2 equivalent) or some FAT-partition to be installed on.

Ciao
Siegbert