Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:45:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to install two FreeBSD releases a single disc? (fwd)

I haven't heard from Mike, so I decided to post this question back
to -stable list.

Any help ?

Thanks!

Igor

----- Forwarded message from Igor Roshchin -----

On 7 December 1998, Mike Smith proclaimed:
> > I like to install FreeBSD 2.2.7 (2.2.8) and 3.0 on the same disc.
> > Because the FreeBSD boot loader looks for the first compatibility slice, it
> 's
> > only possible to boot from the first installed release (first slice).
>
> Install the 'new' bootstrap from 3.0 on both the 2.2 and 3.0 slices.
> See the 'disklabel' manpage; the new bootstrap lives in the files
> /boot/boot1 and /boot/boot2 on the 3.0 install's root filesystem.

Hello, Mike,

About a month ago you wrote the above mentioned message.

I could not get it loading from the second slice of the same disk
in the configuration where two different versions of FreeBSD reside on
one hard drive on different slices.

I think I might be missing something.

Let me also ask you what you meant by talking about having the bootstrap
"on both slices".
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the bootstrap is installed
on a disk, and not per slice.

Another question - how do you specify in the /etc/boot.config -
which slice to boot up from ?

Thanks,

Igor

----- End of forwarded message from Igor Roshchin -----