Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        Jimmy Lantz <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a bootable CD?

In addition to all the other suggestions take a look at the livecd port.
I recently munged their steps to produce a bootable CD that mounts /var,
/tmp, and /home as MFS file systems and has enough tools on it to allow me
to fiddle around with things.

I'm using it to quickly build a bunch of identical machines.  Boot off the
cd, newfs the disk, and then restore (from a dump) the file systems.

Works great.

One thing to remember is that setuid programs sometimes lose their
permissions if you don't take care to keep them intact and that mkisofs
will remove them... see the -R and -r entries in the man page if you're
interested in that aspect.

good luck!

-philip