Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 12:04:27 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to find the PCI chipset type inside a driver

Hi,

I need the bt848/bt878 driver to find out the motherboard's PCI chipset.
IE, Is this Bt878 card sitting on a VIA, SIS, OPTi or INTEL motherboard.

Can this be done?

The Bt878 can be programmed to run in
  "Intel (Full PCI2.1 ompatible) Mode"
  "Intel 440FX mode"
  "SIS/VIA/OPTi" mode.
Each mode drives the PCI bus mastering slightly differently to cater
for bugs/features in various PCI chipsets.

Setting the Bt878 to SIS/VIA/OPTi mode fixed some strange
machine hangs experienced by a UK user yesterday.

I'd like the Bt848 driver to inquire about the PCI bus.
To get the VENDOR and DEVICE_ID codes.

It can then automatically enable the right mode on Bt878
chips.

Any ideas?
Ideally I need a method for 2.2.x, 3.x and -current.

Bye
Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.