Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:25:26 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Lars Eighner" <eighner@io.com>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Trouble with ports? Try this

> Recently I have discovered many ports that do not build, fail to build
> with various mysterious messages, or appear to build but do not work.
>
> Here is the secret: a number of ports require imake, but they don't
> say so if you just try to make them.  You have to read the Makefile
> to discover it.  Some of them will appear to build and install, but
> won't work.  Some of them fail to build with messages which don't
> mention imake.

If you find ports that require imake, but don't have USE_IMAKE set in the
port Makefile, please report them to the -ports mailing list (which a more
appropriate place than -questions, and may be the reason why you never
received valid responses to your queries in the first place.)

If USE_IMAKE is set and your system doesn't have it, imake will be added to
the build dependency list and as such, will be built and installed before
the port, so you should never have the problems that you describe.

However, it appears that this functionality is broken for some reason or
another.  I've created a fix for this problem and submitted it.  See PR
#24317 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=24317) to track the
progress of this fix.

--
Matt Emmerton