Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:47:40 +0200
From:      Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports security updates branch

Hi :)

This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering if a king of "stable
branch" existed for the ports tree. Under OpenBSD I think you can follow
the ports tree stable branch so you only get security updates for your
ports.
This does not seem possible under FreeBSD, if I understood correctly
only the current branch (tag=.) is used for ports; at least this is what
I always used...
Now, here are my questions about that:
- is there a way to only get the security updates for ports ? (are
security updates for ports included in the FreeBSD security advisories)
- when upgrading to a new release, can I use the release branch for ports ?

The reason I'm asking this is that I don't want to update my ports
everytime a new version comes out... except if it has a security issue.

Thanks for reading me.

Antoine