Date:      Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Joe Kirby" <joek@prismnet.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw dummynet bandwidth issues

> * On 14/05/07 10:31 -0500, Joe Kirby wrote:
> | I am currently running "traffic shapers" for a wireless network. The
> | shapers contain about 50 - 100 customers. All we shape is bandwidth to
> | adjust for billing. The problem that I am having is that the bandwidth
> on
> | the customers end seems to be very low on the upload side. Below are all
> | of my configs.
>
> All, including the ipfw configs? ;-)
>
> Anyway, I think you could rely on the WARTA whitepaper for clues.
> There is also http://www.wifibsd.org/

I would rather get this working. My former system admin dropped it into my
lap about 2 weeks ago when he left. I understand the basics for this. The
only ipfw config that I have is the following one if that helps at all.

#!/bin/sh
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/rc.d/ipfw,v 1.10.2.2 2006/03/01 11:36:01 wkoszek Exp $
#

# PROVIDE: ipfw
# REQUIRE: ppp
# BEFORE: NETWORKING
# KEYWORD: nojail

. /etc/rc.subr
. /etc/network.subr

name="ipfw"
rcvar="firewall_enable"
start_cmd="ipfw_start"
start_precmd="ipfw_precmd"
stop_cmd="ipfw_stop"

ipfw_precmd()
{
        if ! ${SYSCTL} net.inet.ip.fw.enable > /dev/null 2>&1; then
                if ! kldload ipfw; then
                        warn unable to load firewall module.
                        return 1
                fi
        fi

        return 0
}

ipfw_start()
{
        # set the firewall rules script if none was specified
        [ -z "${firewall_script}" ] && firewall_script=/etc/rc.firewall

        if [ -r "${firewall_script}" ]; then
                echo -n 'Starting divert daemons:'
                if [ -f /etc/rc.d/natd ] ; then
                        /etc/rc.d/natd start
                fi
                . "${firewall_script}"
                echo -n 'Firewall rules loaded'
        elif [ "`ipfw list 65535`" = "65535 deny ip from any to any" ]; then
                echo 'Warning: kernel has firewall functionality, but' \
    ' firewall rules are not enabled.'
                echo '           All ip services are disabled.'
        fi
        echo '.'

        # Firewall logging
        #
        if checkyesno firewall_logging; then
                echo 'Firewall logging enabled'
                sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.verbose=1 >/dev/null
        fi

        # Enable the firewall
        #
        ${SYSCTL_W} net.inet.ip.fw.enable=1