Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 06:27:45 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   toshiba laptop satellite a45-s150

I'm sending this email to just log what I did
to get a dual-boot xp/bsd 5.2.1 toshiba laptop up ...

1. I used a bootable linux cdrom that had qtparted
on it to repartition the harddrive to shrink the 60GB
Win XP partition into three partitions, half for
Win XP, a small fat32 partition for communication,
and the rest for a FreeBSD slice.  I used a bootable
gentoo recovery cd that had qtparted on it.
The BSD boot manager boots both os'en ok.
qtparted was very simple to use.

2. the toshiba would not boot BSD,  disabling acpi did nothing
useful.  The following is what did the trick ...

set hw.pci.enable_io_modes="0"

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu