Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:26:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        freebsd-hackers, freebsd-chat
Subject:   EurOpen.SE: FreeBSD Presentation, trip report

This is a (belated) trip report of my FreeBSD presentation at
EurOpen.SE.  There are several sections.  The first does the
"reporter's questions": who?, where?, when?, and what?.  The
second are some observations on making presentations.  And the
final section approximates some of my spoken remarks.

The slides from the presentation are available on freefall.
ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/incoming/sweden.slides.ps

	On October 24th and 25th, EurOpen.SE (the Swedish
National Unix Users' Group) held its annual conference.  The
topic for discussion was "Free Unix as your Internet Server --
the best alternative?".  The conference was held at the Grand
Hotel Saltsjobaden, located approximately 15 miles east of
Stockholm, Sweden.  Fifty-three people attended the conference,
mainly from commercial companies rather than universities or
not-for-profit organizations.  Attendees included two people from
The United States Information Service based at the US embassy in
Stockholm and two from the Swedish Department of Defense.  Bjorn
Olofsson of the Lulea Universitet, site of the FreeBSD mirror in
Sweden, also attended.

	The program included speakers representing FreeBSD,
NetBSD, BSDI, Linux (two presentations, one on Debian and the
other on RedHat/Slackware/Yggdrsil), SCO, Sun, Microsoft, and
Tele2/Swipnet (the largest network access provider in Sweden).
Each speaker had a 90 minute time slot.  The Microsoft
representative was ill and was not able to participate.  His time
was divided among myself speaking about the Hint benchmark
(http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/scl/HINT/HINT.html), the Debian Linux
speaker, Lars Wirzenius speaking about the Linux release
mechanism and Magnus Redin of Signum Support AB speaking in
Swedish.

	The first speaker was Olle Wallner of Tele2/Swipnet.
Fortunately, I was the second speaker, so the audience was still
fresh and mine was the first Unix talk.  This is a tremendous
advantage, all the other Unix speakers were forced to distinguish
their product from FreeBSD.  Hence, we received a lot of
unexpected publicity as each speaker in turn mentioned their
differences relative to FreeBSD.

	I stressed three characteristics of FreeBSD above all
else: Networking Performance, Stability, and Support for the user
community.  The presentation addressed a range of issues.  Due to
the 90 minute time limit, several issues were not addressed as
throughly as they deserved but rather mentioned as asides.
First, a (partial) list of issues that I did not address in
detail: laptop support, internationalization, and loadable kernel
modules.

	To support our claim to networking performance, I
described the workload and hardware configuration of
wcarchive.cdrom.com.  The last section contains this
information. Those of you familiar with wcarchive may wish to
skip that paragraph.

	I described the attention to detail and concern for
quality that the core team and the developers of FreeBSD have
demonstrated over the last three years.  Our dedication to
producing a "truly great operating system" and unwillingness to
ship code that is anything less than the best we can make, it
convinced the audience that FreeBSD is a system to be considered
for any task that may arise.  After all, many of us are
professional software developers.  We don't write FreeBSD to
prove anything or to feed ourselves and our families, but rather
to satisfy a desire to excel, to work in an environment
without managers that speak of profits and deadlines.

	I avoided controversy and direct comparisons with other
operating systems.  When directly asked about "FreeBSD vs Product
X", I replied that I had come to talk about FreeBSD and would be
glad to discuss comparisons after the talk, but not as part of
the presentation.  Nonetheless, I maintained that the hardware
available to the FreeBSD user community is remarkably fast and
inexpensive, even though quality does vary greatly.  One should
choose carefully and not be reluctant to spend more for better
equipment.  After all, equipment from a hardware manufacturer
that ships Unix would cost far more than the hardware required by
FreeBSD.  In response to a question from the audience regarding
the perceived slowness of PC clones, I allowed myself one
denigrated remark about Microsoft: "The hardware is fast and
capable, its just the popular software that......."

	Now comes the hard part, talking about what I did well
without being too modest or swinging too much the other
direction.  I displayed an level of enthusiasm, sincerity and
confidence regarding FreeBSD that was compelling.  A number of
people came up to me after the presentation and characterized the
my work as "excellent."  Indeed, one of the other speakers said
he was jealous of what I had accomplished.  A number of
commericial software developers may be switching to FreeBSD.
One example is the compary that displays messages on illuminated
signs in the subway and train stations.  The messages are
customized for each train when necessary.  This system may be
converted to FreeBSD in all new installations.

	The next paragraphs are my notes on the other operating
systems presentations.

NetBSD, Charles M. Hannum:
	NetBSD has been ported to 16 platforms, some of which I have
never heard of before.  The project goals are to field a complete,
stable, portable, standards based system.  But there is no ports tree
or ports/packages mechanism.  The only sections of source code that
contain machine dependencies are limited portions of libc and the
kernel.  NetBSD sees itself a the follow-on the the Computer Science
Research Group (CSRG) of the University of California at Berkeley.  As
such, they intend to provide improvements in the quality of the code,
and the level of abstraction in the code, as well as create THE
reference BSD implementation.  Charles provided a list of NetBSD
firsts, such as the first BSD Unix on to support shared libraries.
NetBSD provides binary compatibility for BSDI, FreeBSD, HP-UX,
Interactive, Linux, SCO and others.  Their plan it make one release a
year; the release engineering so too complex given their number of
platforms to prepare releases more frequently.  NetBSD is made up of a
core team and portmasters.  The core team has the same functions as
ours and the portmasters are responisble for applications (which does
not jive well with the statement that there is not ports/packages
mechanism, but such are my notes)

	The next big step for NetBSD is to move the kernel to a
synchronous thread model.  Each interrupt will have its own thread.
The goal is to make the kernel much more like programming any
multi-threaded program rather than the upper/lower model that we have
now.  Additional goals are: SMP, journaling on file systems (not the
same as logfs), ELF, and kernel support of user threads.

Debian Linux, Lars Wirzenius:
	Linux is one kernel, but many distributions and a least a
couple C libraries.  The kernel is controlled by Linus Torvalds but
the distributions are independent efforts, each is structured as the
distributor sees fit.  Linux now has a unified buffer cache and
virtual memory system.  Linux is available for x86, dec alpha, sparc
and mc68k, but only the x86 version is stable.  Linux has replaced
fork(2) with the system call clone(2), the Linux version of fork(2) is
actually a wrapper around clone(2).  clone(2) allows selective sharing
of resources between the parent and child processes.

	Linux has one release a year, but allows complete access to
the development code.  The majority of people run the development
code rather than any official release.  Debian is very proud of its
package system, which is quite powerful.  It recognized a number of
dependency levels, from "must-have" to "suggested" additions to the
package that is being installed.

BSDI, Peter Hakansson of Volvo,  Data Department:
	Peter spoke in Swedish and so I understood very little of his
presentation.  The presentation was low key, so low key that at times
I could not hear him.  I sat at the back of the room.

SCO, David Gurr of SCO Great Britain:
	SCO is moving to a 64-bit architecture, the Gemini chip, also
known as the P7.  This chip is a joint development effort of Intel
and Hewlett-Packard.  SCO supports clustering of workstations as a
method of providing reliability.  SCO feels that it owns the
point-of-sale market and plans to expand its presence in this area.
SCO wishes to push of a unified Unix, now that SCO is receiving
royalties from all SVR4 and SVR3 versions of Unix, except Sun, they
feel that they are in a position to "strongly encourage" others to move
with them "as to what is and what is not" Unix.

	The presentation was done in PowerPoint and presented using a
laptop computer and a projector gizmo that plugged into the external
video DB-15 connector of the laptop.  The result was aesthetically
unappealing--just too dark to read easily.

RedHat/Slackware/Yggdrsil, Magnus Redin of Signum Support AB:
	Spoke in Swedish.  Slides handwritten on location.  I have no
idea what he said ;(

Sun Microsystems:
	Also in Swedish, again I did not understand enough to comment.

Microsoft:
	The Microsoft representative fell ill and was not able to
come to the conference to make his presentation.  This opened up
a 90 minute hole in the schedule for the afternoon of the second
day, October 25th.  The hole had to be filled.  The summary panel
discussion was scheduled for 4:00pm and the representative of
Tele2/Swipnet would not return until then.

General comments on Swedes, the hotel and other things:

	The accommodations were excellent.  Those of you who have not
stayed in a first-rate European hotel should find the opportunity to
do so.  No hotel that I know of in the United States compares.  One
example, the bathroom towel racks have an internal heating
element--before stepping into the shower, turn on the heater and the
thick, plush towels are wonderfully warm by the time that you finish
showering.  The Swedes are a tall people, average of six foot, 180 cm,
and so all the furniture and fixtures are sized accordingly.  My feet
did not hang off the end of the bed ;).

	The Grand Hotel at Saltzjobaden is a large stately
structure, situated on the water with a comfortable marina and
beautiful island just offshore.  There is a small bridge to the
island.  Access to Stockholm from the Baltic Sea is impeded by
the largest archipelago in Europe.  A wonderful place to sail and
gunk-hole.  (gunk-hole: to sail from one anchorage to another
each day doing a little fishing, touring and bird watching along
the way....sorta ;)

	Swedes study English, both written and spoken, in school from
the third grade till 12th.  The audience was very comfortable speaking
in and listening to English (Thank goodness given my facility in
Swedish.  Vowels are different from English.  An umlaut-o is not the
same as a plain `o'.  This is important when looking for a hotel
located on the square called H<umlaut-o>rtoget in Stockholm.
Substituting a regular `o' is a very different word ;) Needless to
say, I spoke in English.

	Some general notes on making presentations: practice, out
loud, in front of people, repeatedly.  Know your material cold.
Have a set of anecdotes that you can use to enliven the
presentation and bring them out as needed. Don't try to cover
everything, the presentation becomes either a laundry list or
confusing swirl of items.  Pick a theme and stick with it; return
to the theme several times. Get the first presentation slot or at
least the first slot of the second day.  The first slot after
lunch is tough; the second slot is a disaster.  People that are
digesting are prone to fall asleep in the middle of your talk.
Eat lightly before speaking, but only lightly, not foods that are
high in refined sugar content.  Take a glass of water up to the
podium.  Speaking for 90 minutes without water will reduce your
voice to a hoarse croak.  (I did remember to take a glass of
water with me.)

	Print out the notes along with the slides using the
article format of the LaTeX seminar package.  That way the notes
are easier to use (both the slide and my notes are visible at the
same time.)  Highlight (either in color marker or some other
highly visible manner) those items that are most important to
discuss for each slide.  Before beginning the seque into the next
slide, take several seconds to review those points and make sure
that each one has been addressed.

The following paragraphs are an approximation of what i actually
said to the audience on several issues: network performance,
stability, and user support.  These paragraphs are not
exhaustive, rather indicative.

	This ftp/http server provides 70GB of data to the
Internet, day in and day out.  Its record day was 115GB. That
averages 2.5 Megabytes/second during the day and 1.3
Megabytes/second all night long.  During that 24 hour period, the
run queue never exceeded 3.00 and interactive response on the
console was snappy.  The machine's output is limited by the
ability of the Internet to accept data.

	US West, one of the baby bells, has chosen FreeBSD as the
operating system to use in their Internet Service Provider
business segment called !nterprise.  US West, a $10 Billion
dollar company with more than $1.2 Billion in profit, chose
FreeBSD because of its stability.  Due to the regulations that
govern telephone companies, US West is forced to create a
significant number of server sites.  There are three sites in
Minnesota alone.  Each site has two machines, one provides news,
the other does everything else. Many sites are "dark sites."  No
one is there to attend to reboot a crashed computer.  The
machines *must* stay up, otherwise someone will have to travel to
the site to reboot the box.  Flying into Fargo, North Dakota in
February is not fun.

	FreeBSD maintains the principle of "least surprise" for
our users.  For example, shared libraries are phased out slowly,
rather than disappearing suddenly with the next release.  TCP/IP
extensions can be enabled or disable easily by editing
/etc/sysconfig.  Using CVS, we can retrieve from the source code
repository the code same code that any FreeBSD is using.  Users
often receive answers to their questions within 30 minutes from
the time that they send mail to the FreeBSD mailing lists.  No
trouble tickets.  No 800 numbers.  Just answers.

	Should you ever find a problem with FreeBSD, please use
send-pr(1) to send a problem report to us.  These problem reports
are logged in a database and retained until resolved.  Problems
that are mentioned informally in the mailing lists may be lost or
remain unresolved.  The mailing lists are not a substitute for
the send-pr(1) command and the GNATS problem reporting and
tracking system.

jmb

--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG