Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:25:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Remko Lodder" <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Alexander Leidinger" <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of /etc/skel, your opinions please

On Thu, November 29, 2007 10:47 am, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 28 Nov 2007
> 22:21:06 +0100):
>

>> Dear arch@ members,
>>
>> I would like to remove /etc/skel from the BSD.root.dist mtree file
>> since it is no longer being used and I would like to remove unused
>> items.
>>
>> I understood from a PR  (46062) that there are no references to this
>> directory any longer. There is a proposal to symlink this; but I dont
>> want to keep this alive at all where possible..
>>
>> Does anyone have objections to this change? If so, please let me know
>> why you have these objections so that I can take them into account.
>
> Not an objection, just something to think about: Do we want to
> deprecate the use of "adduser -k /etc/skel"? I know you said you just
> want to remove the directory, and every admin is allowed to create it
> again, but by removing the directory from the mtree file, we give a
> signal into the direction of deprecation.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.
>
> --

Hello Alexander,

You do have a point there actually :-), what we can do in the install
phase (initially "make distribution", later on when the system is already
installed, manage this through "mergemaster") is install all files from
/usr/share/skel to /etc/skel and actually use it.

If we dont want to do that, why should we keep on carrying the directory
then?

Cheers
remko

--