Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:05:07 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        David Paul Zimmerman <dpz@ack.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        David Robillard <david.robillard@gmail.com>, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@freebsd.org>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Fire X4100 now booting from LSI1064 SAS

* David Paul Zimmerman (dpz@ack.berkeley.edu) wrote:

> *Many* thanks to mjacob for his mpt driver improvements.  I was able
> to boot 7.0-CURRENT-SNAP013-amd64-disc1.iso (3/10/2006 snapshot)
> from CD on my X4100 and install from scratch directly to a SAS disk
> in slot 0.  Booted perfectly.  Did a csup at ~3/30/2006 15:17,
> buildworld/kernel, installkernel/world, all is still good.

Well, that's what we[1] paid him for; thanks Matt :)

We're running the CURRENT mpt driver copied back to several RELENG_6
machines without problems, ranging from 2GB to 10GB, 2 to 4 drives, and
2 to 4 cores; they've proved to be stable enough for production use,
although IO seemed to be somewhat bottlenecked with MySQL and
gmirror+gstripe based RAID10.

They make lovely general purpose servers, not least because of the
excellent lights out management, and they of course run Linux fine too,
which is good for MySQL throughput if nothing else.

Hope to see an mpt MFC before long :)

 1: http://www.newzbin.com/

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst