Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:04:39 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: md5 of a filesystem / verifying filesystem integrity after

Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does someone know how to reliably run a checksum of sorts on a filesystem,
> > to be able
> >
> > to verify filesystem integrity after a restore from dump level 0 has
> > occurred?

<snip the potential problems with dump/md5>

Could you use something like tripwire (which does an md5 of each file on the
filesystem and stores them in a database for later verification)?

I think tripwire only checks executable files, but the approach should work
with all files.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies