Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 2020 17:21:18 +0000
From:      Daniel Stevenson <daniel@dstev.xyz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting EFI system without EFI loader

On Sun, Sep 06, 2020 at 06:47:14PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>=20
> I know it's possible, because I did it once by accident. Now I need to do
> it again.
> I had completed the installation and tried to boot the new system. It
> worked when I tried to boot the USB stick, but something failed with the
> message that no valid system was found and prompted for the bot drive. I
> entered ufs:disk0p6: and the newly installed system came up! I then updat=
ed
> to current and built the world and kernel and installed the kernel. Now I
> need to reboot.
>=20
> I can't figure out how to get the loader to ask for the boot disk
> (partition). I tried installing the loader into the efi partition as per
> the handbook, but my system was too smart. It didn't like the new
> bootx86.efi file and "fixed" it! ARG!
>=20
> Any clue as to how to force my system to boot and NOT "AUTOREPAIR" itself=
?
> I want to install rEFInd using Niclas Z's instructions as soon as can.
>=20
> I seem to be asking for help a lot, but I have not had to deal with this
> stuff since going to EFI. FWIW, the system is a Lenovo L15 (Intel).

You should be able to set the default boot loader from your BIOS,
probably from the "Boot" tab or similar.

--
Daniel Stevenson

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?Ie2NI6Nk1EnrVrvh8GfrVhkq2W08X9zzkSQGP9izPfBm8gzoaxCqBOgXlbIOo9Vh_-e9N-F7r1Y5zTBL8l2McA==>