Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:25:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        turner@smartweb.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding scsi adapter

Sounds like a termination problem. Be sure that the board is set to
auto terminate. Then make sure you have good termination on the other
side of the tape drive.

In a previous message, David Turner said:
> Question,
>
> I am running freebsd 2.2.5 with the generic kernel. My system boots off
> of an IDE drive. I want to install an adaptec 2940 ultra scsi host
> adapter so that I can can also install a scsi tape drive for backup.
>
> I put the SCSI adapter in the computer and when it boots I get the
> following in the dmesg;
>
> ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 1 int a irq 11 on
> pci0:17
> ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI id=7, 16 SCBs
> ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> ahc0: board is not responding
> cmd fail
> (ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x1 timeout while recovery in progress
> (ahc0:0:0): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
> uk0(ahc0:0:0):unknown
>
> I tried this with 2 Identicle adapters that I tested on NT so I know
> they are ok. I just don't know what I am doing. Can anyone point me in
> the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Turner

"I would have to say that if God would have wanted us to vote, he
 would have given us real candidates." - April Skappel, 17, Winona, Minn.