Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:42:15 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "=?gb2312?B?Pz+osKHpIKikPw==?=" <zhiyaoli@yahoo.com.cn>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: help me setup a internal modem

One of your unknown cards is your internal modem. This usually means your
modem is an winmodem. Winmodems are cheap modems built for the ms/windows
market. They are cheap because they don't have onboard controller hardware.
FBSD does not support winmodems.  You have to use an  internal isa or pci
modem which has an onboard controller or any external modem. Changing your
kernel source will do nothing.

Once you see your modem found in the dmesg.boot file do the following

Use /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file as is except for the following.
1. verify the set device/cauu0 statement is pointing the device your modem
is connected to.
2. com1 =cauu0    com2=cauu1
3. in the papchap section put in the correct information for you isp account
name, password ,phone #

from the command line enter  ppp -ddial papchap   to start.
If you have a lan behind this gateway use this format of the command
 ppp  -ddial -nat papchap

If this does not work, post the following files.
/var/run/dmesg.boot  /etc/ppp/ppp.conf  /etc/rc.conf   /var/log/ppp.log
Be sure the ppp.log is empty before running your last test before posting
back to this list
so it only contains one test.