Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:17:26 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        millueradfa@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some ideas for FreeBSD

On 2008-02-06 09:23, "millueradfa@yahoo.com" <millueradfa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD Developers,
>
> I have a few suggestions for how FreeBSD can be improved in an upcoming
> release.

> The third idea is for more of a move to Linux and, SUS , and POSIX
> source compatability in regards to additional features supported by
> these systems. I still in 6.0 run into some calls that are not supported
> by FreeBSD that is a real headache. I ran into this with posix_memalign
> in some software.  Although posix_memalign is more modern, If it would
> be trivial to add support for linux specific valloc and memalign why not
> do so as well, to maintain compatability with older Linux software. It
> is better to just make FreeBSD be as compatable and for stuff to compile
> out of box, as possible than to haggle over conditional ifdefs and
> changing lines of code in software.

FWIW, posix_memalign() *is* supported by the new malloc() implementation
in FreeBSD 7.X.  The current RELENG_7 branch has it, so it has already
found its way towards a release.

If there are other library functions you would like to see implemented
in FreeBSD too, then it would be nice to post a summary of your findings
to freebsd-hackers or freebsd-arch :)

- Giorgos